EPCR Logo Feb2017 EPCR Logo Mar2017 White

Times: Sunday School 9:45am, Sunday Morning 11:00am, Sunday Evening: 5:30pm, Wednesday Evening: 7:00pm. See Calendar for more.

Our story

1927-1967

The Forward Movement

 

This new church had largely developed in Welsh speaking Wales and the predominantly English-speaking counties of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire knew very little evangelical light.  So members of the Calvinistic Methodist Church of Wales, John Pugh, Seth and Frank Joshua, undertook missions to industrialised areas of South Wales.  

 

In Cardiff, for example, a meeting tent for preaching was set up in Splott which was the beginning of the Forward Movement, which saw over 60 churches established throughout Wales. In the Welsh capital, there was the building of the Heath, Saltmead, the Memorial Hall, Bethel in Caerau, Ely, and our own church, Mount Pleasant (1927) in Archer Road, Ely.  Both Bethel and Mount Pleasant were built on land donated by a local English aristocrat, Lord Plymouth.

By 1954, the cause in Mount Pleasant was on the point of closure.  However, Saltmead Forward Movement Church sent Mr Donald Hooper and Mrs Peggy Hooper to assist in the work of Mount Pleasant.  God was in this and that to bless, and our cause began to grow under a dynamic, biblical ministry.

 

In May 1959 the congregation at Mount Pleasant called Mr. Donald Hooper to be its minister, following the completion of his training at Trevecca (see reference above). In 1961 he was ordained by the Presbyterian Church of Wales (the new name for the Calvinistic Methodist Church of Wales). The Reverend Hooper was also made responsible for the pastoral oversight of Bethel Presbyterian Church, Caerau.

 

Secession from the Presbyterian Church of Wales in 1968

 

In a 31-page statement ‘Whether it be Right’ the leadership of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church outlined the history, reasons and aims relating to the withdrawal of Mount Pleasant and Bethel churches in Ely from the Presbyterian Church of Wales.  The central issue was the dire effects of Liberal theology at every level in the Presbyterian Church of Wales, which teaching “ran contrary to the doctrines set forth in the 1823 Confession of Faith”.

 

.